Hurricane Season

November 6, 2010

Remember last week when we had 6 days straight of rain? Well, this weekend, we saw blue sky for about 2 hours, and then got thumped with the tail end of a hurricane on Sunday night! So it was an indoor weekend, filled with lots of baking, friends and a quick basketball adventure to Belfast.

On Friday, I tried out this recipe for pumpkin whoopie pies. They were so good they were eaten so fast I forgot to take a photo. They were a little flatter than the gorgeous photo in the original recipe, but I think that's due to using real pumpkin, not canned, which was pretty wet. But they were moist and spicy, and overall so yummy. I did use half the amount of ground cloves, which I would recommend since a tablespoon is a LOT of ground cloves for any recipe.

I also made a quick loaf of banana bread with a couple of sad bananas on their way out.



And see that mug? Coffee? No, tea! I'm running out of coffee (I bring it back from America because I can't find flavored coffee here), and needed a cosy warm-me-up drink. So tea it was. Not so bad in the end, but I'm still counting the days until I can re-stock my supply of hazelnut and french vanilla coffee. (14 days!)

Here's the recipe for the banana bread. It's my favorite banana bread of the moment. No cinnamon, but the yogurt makes it really moist and you can actually taste the bananas.

Banana Bread (from this lovely site)
1/2 cup (113 g) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup (131 g) granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 overripe bananas, mashed
1/2 cup (120 ml) plain low-fat yogurt or sour cream
1-1/2 cups (180 g) unbleached all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Cream the butter and sugar together using a mixer. Mix in the eggs, vanilla, bananas and yogurt. In a separate bowl, mix together dry ingredients. Mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients. Bake in a loaf tin at 350F/180C for 40-50 minutes until top is golden and toothpick inserted comes out clean.

And, just so you know I'm not making this studio business up, here's an "in progress" photo for you. It's nearly there, I swear! All we need is a space heater (on the way in the next few days!) and a table. If you have one you're looking to part with, let me know!



Did anyone do any baking this weekend? I'd love to hear all about it!
Hope you all have a lovely, dry Monday!

4 comments:

Nancy said...

Anita Smith DID make you pumpkin whoopie pies this weekend. She said they were a definate keeper. I think she is going to write to you. Nancy
I am planning to make buttercrunch soon and take lots of pictures.

P2 said...

That picture of banana bread and tea looks to die for right now! Studio looks good too. Can't wait to see it finished!

Anonymous said...

Nut bread, studio, but hey what about that NEW HOOVER???

Emily Boyle Westbrooks said...

Ha yes...that was when I couldn't figure out how to put the bag back in the new HOOVER!